Any advice on RESP?

Visibility: Public
asked May 17, 2016 02:51 PM by
 gravatar image

Hello,

I am still a newbie here on MoneyGeek. Now I have a question about Education Savings Plans... I currently have put away $25k for RESP for my two kids. One is in grade 8 (14 years old), the other in grade 5 (10 years old). So I have 3 and 7 years respectively to contribute to their RESP plan.

I would want to leave the current RESP as is (for family reasons), but start a new RESP with Questrade that will be "fed" for the next 3 and 7 years respectively. I plan to max out every year, i.e. $2500 per child per year (+ 20% government grant).

Given the time horizon before money will be withdrawn, what would be a reasonable portfolio to follow? The regular moderately conservative? Or the regular slightly conservative?

Thanks, Helmut

Edit Retag Flag offensive Close Delete

1 answer

sort by ยป oldest newest most voted
answered May 17, 2016 08:39 PM by
Jin Won Choi gravatar image Administrator

Hi Helmut,

Let me first clarify what I can and can't do. MoneyGeek is not a regulated financial advisory firm, and as such, I actually can't provide personalized advice of this nature. I don't want to get into why the company is not regulated - there are a number of different reasons why.

While I can't give you advice directly, I can answer any questions you may have regarding investments in general. In general, if you have a less than 10 year time horizon before you need to pull your investments, conservative portfolios are the better way to go.

Hope that helps,

Jin

Edit Flag offensive Delete Link

Comments

Thanks, Jin. I know that your are not a financial adviser and I don't expect you to tell me what to do. I apologize. I should have phrased my question differently like "are there any investment tricks of the trade to keep in mind when investing for the shorter term, e.g. RESP".

HelmutD ( May 17, 2016 11:28 PM )edit
Please log in to post an answer.
Web Analytics