I recently bought a U.S. stock (symbol CJREF) in my TFSA. I then realized CJR.B.TO exist. I also very recently learned about the U.S. withholding tax on dividends; notably applying on TFSA accounts.
1) How does Questrade handle such tax ? Is it automatically cut off the dividend I receive ? Do I have to fill forms ?
2) Since IVAL & QVAL also seems to give out dividends; will I have to pay a dividend tax on those ?
3) (I read on "synthetic ETF" @ http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-... ; see the part where they talk about HXS : "Because HXS owns no shares, it does not issue or receive any cash distributions and is not subject to U.S. taxes, including dividend withholding tax.".
Is the HXS above "trick" common ? Or rarely done with ETFs ? How to check if a ETF management is doing such a trick ?
4) For a Canadian, would CJR.B.TO make more sense than CJREF ? It seems to be about the same as CJREF, but in CAD currency. Wouldn't it be the same, minus the tax ?
5) Could a Norbert Gambit be done between CJREF & CJR.B.TO ? (I doubt it, but who knows :/)