When to rebalance portfolio

Visibility: Public
asked Feb 01, 2017 03:41 PM by
 gravatar image

Hello, I am fairly new to this but have been using the money geek model portfolios to help with my TFSA investing. I have a question about timing for buying/selling and making changes to a portfolio. I know the general rule of "buy low-sell high", but is there any other guidance that you can provide on when is the optimal time/frequency to rebalance or add funds to a portfolio (and should you still do it if the value of some of the ETFs is considerably higher than when you originally bought them, e.g. close to a 52 week high). I've encountered situations where I sold some stocks and had a fair amount of cash sitting in my TFSA, but I've hesitated from re-investing as per the model portfolio breakdowns given the significant increase in value of some of the ETFs. Is that just a beginner's hangup? Any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks very much for all the work you put into this blog!

Edit Retag Flag offensive Close Delete

1 answer

sort by ยป oldest newest most voted
answered Feb 02, 2017 11:06 AM by
Jin Won Choi gravatar image Administrator

Hi anulka,

Unfortunately, there isn't a hard and fast rule to follow with regards to frequency and timing of rebalancing. That said, in general, it's not a good idea to base your purchasing decision on whether share prices have risen or not. For example, some people probably hesitated from investing in BRK-B ten years ago, because its price had risen so much. Those people would have missed out on more than doubling of BRK-B since.

If you're looking for more personalized advice beyond this, I unfortunately can't give you any answers here. If you'd still like an answer, please post a new question for 'Approved Advisors Only', and one of the advisors will get back to you.

Jin

Edit Flag offensive Delete Link
Please log in to post an answer.
Web Analytics