More of a general comment regarding oil than a question...

Visibility: Public
asked Jun 12, 2017 09:32 AM by
 gravatar image

A lot of people, myself included perhaps, have been guilty at times of second-guessing the Moneygeek oil and gas stocks.

However, if we’re honest, we should realize that each of us are individually responsible for any choices we make with respect to our own stock portfolios. If I choose to follow the Moneygeek model portfolios and end up losing money, that’s my own fault. If I don’t have a long enough time horizon, or if I’m investing with money I can’t afford to lose – once again, my own fault.

The Brexit vote and the 2016 U.S. presidential election have demonstrated that nobody has a crystal ball. It would be unreasonable to fault the people at Moneygeek for lacking powers of precognition.

Edit Retag Flag offensive Close Delete

Comments

I'm glad you brought this up Burt. The performance of XEG (oil & gas ETF) in the Moneygeek portfolio has been disappointing as of late despite all of the evidence and arguments to be bullish on oil.

Gibsonpure ( Jun 14, 2017 08:24 PM )edit

And...it continues to get worse :P

Gibsonpure ( Jun 20, 2017 09:09 AM )edit

1 answer

sort by » oldest newest most voted
answered Jun 14, 2017 09:22 AM by
Jin Won Choi gravatar image Administrator

Thank you for the comment, Burt. However, I think I am at least somewhat culpable. While it's true that no one has a crystal ball, I have confidently predicted in the past that oil prices would have risen substantially by now. While no one should trust any expert (including myself) wholeheartedly, I also shouldn't have expressed the confidence that I have. I'm working on getting myself to say "I don't know" more often.

With few exceptions, the readers of this site have in fact been adopting the attitude you described. I consider myself fortunate that this site generally has an intelligent and capable readership. Still, thank you again for your willingness to defend this site.

Jin

Edit Flag offensive Delete Link

Comments

Jin, this comment is encouraging. Please let us know your thoughts on the future of the regular portfolios containing oil & gas stocks and when it is time to evaluate the portfolio and re-balance.

Gibsonpure ( Jun 14, 2017 08:26 PM )edit

Thanks, Gibsonpure - I still plan on including the XEG.TO in the Regular portfolios. Oil and gas stocks is one of the only undervalued stocks in today's environment (retail is possibly another, but I'm less sure about that).

Jin Choi ( Jun 16, 2017 01:01 PM )edit
Please log in to post an answer.
Web Analytics