$US Conversion; Norbert's Gambit; which platform and account type to use?

Visibility: Public
asked Sep 09, 2018 05:51 PM by
 gravatar image

Hi,

I'm looking to convert about $30,000 USD to CDN using Norbert's Gambit to avoid paying excessive conversion fees.

I'm currently only interested in opening the account in order to perform the currency conversion and plan to close it after the conversion is complete. The reason I plan to close the account after conversion is that looking at the Questrade website, as it seems to be the recommended platform, it states the inactivity fee is ~$25/quarter (since I don't plan to keep minimum $5000 in the account and only want to use it for immediate currency conversion)

What platform would you recommend to perform the transaction (Questrade,...?), and which type of account to perform the currency exchange (Margin, Forex,...?) (I have no idea what type of account to choose).

Thanks, D

Edit Retag Flag offensive Close Delete

1 answer

sort by ยป oldest newest most voted
answered Sep 28, 2018 01:25 PM by
Jin Won Choi gravatar image Administrator

Hi David,

If you're planning on doing just a one time conversion, you could also look into a few services that give you better exchange rates than banks. For example, I use Transferwise regularly for my corporation. Note that I have no business relations with Transferwise.

Jin

Edit Flag offensive Delete Link
Please log in to post an answer.

Stats

Asked: Sep 09, 2018 05:51 PM

Seen: 127 times

Last updated: Sep 28

Web Analytics