RESP Eligibility of Regular Portfolio Funds

Visibility: Public
asked Apr 22, 2015 08:38 PM by
 gravatar image

Hello. Can you comment on the RESP eligibility of the funds in the regular portfolios? When I look at the Fund Overview sheets for XSB (http://ca.ishares.com/content/enca/repository/resource/factsheet/FFSXSBCA46431A1093ENCA.PDF) and XEF, they only list RRSP and TFSA under "Fund Eligibility". If the funds aren't eligible, what happens when they're transferred into an RESP account? I think you've mentioned that you haven't looked into RESPs too deeply because you don't have children of your own, but a lot of your members probably do (like me) so you should provide the information and guidance. Thanks! Steven.

Edit Retag Flag offensive Close Delete

2 answers

sort by » oldest newest most voted
answered Apr 23, 2015 01:01 PM by
 gravatar image

Thanks for the clarification, Steven.

Edit Flag offensive Delete Link
answered Apr 23, 2015 09:37 AM by
Jin Won Choi gravatar image Administrator

Hi graystev, thanks for the question.

Any investment that is eligible for an RRSP is also eligible for an RESP. Right now, every investment that comprise the regular portfolios are eligible for both RRSP and RESP.

Hope that helps,

Jin

Edit Flag offensive Delete Link

Comments

Hi Jin - I received contrary information from Questrade: while attempting Norbit's Gambit in my RESP account, the support rep said that USD investments were not supported in RESP accounts. It sounds like I need to follow up on this ...

mmikitka ( May 29, 2015 10:00 AM )edit

I just called Questrade again, and they confirmed that *only* CDN positions are allowed in RESP accounts. So, for example, one cannot purchase anything on NYSE (BRK-B, CAPE, etc.)

mmikitka ( May 29, 2015 11:47 AM )edit

That's unfortunate. Thanks, mmikitka. I'll think about introducing a CDN only portfolio for RESPs.

Jin Choi ( May 30, 2015 03:24 PM )edit

Thanks Jin

mmikitka ( May 30, 2015 09:25 PM )edit

After receiving conflicting information from another source, I contact Questrade support again, this time via e-mail, and the response is: yes, USD positions are allowed. Here is the response: " I can confirm that you will be able to hold USD denominated securities in your RESP ... "

mmikitka ( Jun 13, 2015 07:16 PM )edit

"... There is however a fee. For anyone who maintains USD in their RESP: on any day in which you trade a U.S. security in your RESP, you’ll be charged a $5 commission. This is a flat, per-day commission, no matter how many trades are made or if the trade is commission-free ..."

mmikitka ( Jun 13, 2015 07:17 PM )edit

"... (such as the purchase of an ETF)."

mmikitka ( Jun 13, 2015 07:17 PM )edit

Thanks for letting us know, mmikitka. It's unfortunate that Questrade sometimes gives conflicting information.

Jin Choi ( Jun 13, 2015 08:11 PM )edit
Please log in to post an answer.

Stats

Asked: Apr 22, 2015 08:38 PM

Seen: 336 times

Last updated: Apr 23 '15

Web Analytics